12.24.2008

Traditions

I'm feeling a little "out of it" and maybe my kids are just getting to the age of continuing traditions. I don't know. I try to stop and think of some but not sure what we have. Here's what I came up with:

  • Advent wreath and book. Every night (we try) to light the candle and read the page of the book that will tell each part of the Christmas story.
  • Putting lights on the house (Lindsey LOVES that Ryan does this)
  • Nativity scenes (my adult one and the Little People one) out
  • Christmas Eve service at church---little nervous about this with Courtney for tonight, but we'll see
  • Christmas Eve "supper" is fun, snacky foods (my favorite!)
  • Making cookies for Santa
  • Opening one present...new Christmas pjs to sleep in!

New this year:

  • Making a gingerbread house
  • Sprinkling "reindeer" glitter on our grass so they can find us (from Mrs. Baker)

Next year I want to buy or do the "Elf on a the Shelf" for the girls. I think they would "get it" and it would be something fun to add to our tradition.

Last night when we were just playing Lindsey told Courtney "the angels told them do not be afraid, I bring you good news." My heart melted...she may not "get it" but she knows! So I think one of the things we will do tonight before bed, is have Lindsey tell us the Christmas story. Reading it from the Bible is great, but hearing it from my daughter's mouth is more precious to me right now!

I like what my friend Wendi said in her post about traditions. She talked about how they were developing their own as a new family with their children, (just one for now), but that she knew it would always be FAMILY and JESUS! That is how I feel. I don't know exactly what we will still be doing when they are 10 at this point...but it will come. I do know there will be FAMILY and JESUS!

Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Sherry Drennan said...

I did that through Bloglines for a while but I actually found out you can edit your settings in Blogger to show the last update on all of your favorites that you have listed on your right hand side of your own blog and it will post the last title~ thus you know if you've read it or not. Love it b/c it's all done from my own blog!

Reba said...

Merry Christmas!