This might be long. Sorry. Remember when I typed out a few weeks ago that God was "calling me to do something" and I assumed it was the MDO job? That would have been too easy. That job would have been comfortable to me. God calls us to step out sometimes, but little did I know where He was calling me!
While we were at Watts Happening this weekend, Ryan got a voicemail from our new youth pastor at church, Lee. We haven't met Lee, but obviously knew who he was. He just said on the message that he got his name from someone at church and had something he thought Ryan might be interested in and wanted to talk to him about it. Ryan immediately thought it might be sports related considering the person that gave Ryan's name to Lee. So standing at Mustin Lake Ryan called Lee back. Lee asked Ryan to lead a 10th grade boys "Life Group" at church (aka Sunday school). What is ironic about this is that about a month ago the middle school pastor, Grant, asked Ryan to teach 5th/6th grade Sunday School. Ryan had coached that age in Upward basketball. Ryan told me this and I was thrilled that he was asked, but I NEVER asked him about it because I didn't want to be his "Holy Spirit" and tell him what I thought. So, I just didn't say anything. Ryan acted super excited about this high school age when he got off the phone. Then he proceeded to tell me that Lee wanted me to do 10th grade girls! Immediately I got nervous...those high school girl feelings of "what will they think of me, will they like me, etc." DOES IT MATTER?! No, I'm there to lead them to Jesus.
It has been neat for me to watch Ryan truely get excited and obviously feel led to do this. Ryan is not "churchy" which is great. But that being said, he doesn't talk "churchy" either like..."I feel like God is calling me to (whatever)", or things like that. So as we've talked about it he says things like "I don't know why I'm so interested in this, but I am." Which tells me, it is a God thing!
One of the things I read when I was trying to decide about the MDO job was that "when God calls us, He enables us." Which at the time I thought "God will enable me to be the MDO Director." However, being honest with me (and my blogging friends) I would not have been as reliant on God to be a good MDO Dir. as I will have to be in order to lead a 10th grade girls life group! What?!?! That is so not where I would see God using me.
I know that God calls us to do things that we wouldn't pick, which is why He calls us, right?! When Ryan talked to Lee yesterday, Lee asked if we could be there Sunday for promotion Sunday because he wants to introduce the Life Group leaders! What?!!? Again, not my timing God! I need to get ready! But, no God will get me ready.
I told Ryan this will "change the way we go to church" in a couple of ways. We will be with teenagers and not adults. We will go to a different church service and not sit with our friends. We will not go to our Sunday School class. None of these are bad things, just different.
I'm excited to see what God does in our lives in leading these teenagers. Wow, I must depend on the Lord to guide my words, my steps, my actions and my life...into a goup of 10th grade girls!
5.28.2008
God's Call
Posted by Sharon at 2:20 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
That is exciting. God is going to really use you and change you in ways you never thought. Rob worked with the youth on Wed nights and loved it. The kids are so real, they don't hold back. I used to go on wed nights when I was not working in the cubbies. I loved it. Diciple Now is the coolest thing too, I remember how Rob loved the kids and how they really grew in that weekend. Let us know how it goes.
Yea! I can so see you guys doing that! At our old church, I loved being involved with the teenage girls. One night I hosted a slumber party here and had about 20+ girls sleeping all over this house. But, I invited MY friends too - which was great as we had an unbelievable mentoring experience. We had an amazing time and they always ministered to me much more than I ever did them I'm sure! I miss that! You will LOVE this! Just be prepared for your heart to be overfilled!!!! :)
What a wonderful opportunity! I cannot wait to hear how it goes. I worked with teens some when I was first out of college which is ironic in a way. I was not much more than a teen. I would imagine that having some life experiences would be a better teacher. How neat to see where God is leading you!
Reba
Exciting! My only question... Does Ryan know he will actually have to speak... out loud... where people can hear? He is a man of so many words!! I'm kidding. I can't think of anyone better for the job. So proud of ya'll.
Sharon, This is exciting! I understand the fear of working with highschoolers verses little ones! It is true though (& boy don't I know it!) that "God doesn't call the equipped but He equips the called"! SO true & as you said it does put us in our place of having Him be in control & us be reliant on Him which is such a beautiful thing! I am so thrilled for both you & Ryan & it is neat to hear of Ryan's great interest in this. It will be so fun to see & hear how God uses the both of you to be a beacon to Jesus in the lives of these young people & how your hearts will be molded as well. It's so cool to see how God has been working in your heart & softening it to be able to hear what He was asking you to do & be ready to say "yes", even when it was something totally other than what you originally though! Love that! We need to talk it's been forever!
Sharon and Ryan,
God is working through the two of you to change lives. What you are doing is probably one of the most important jobs in the world. You can have a huge impact on the future of these kids.
Betsy
Post a Comment