11.02.2009

Monday Madness and Dancing

Mondays have been crazy this year (aka school year). I know that some people who read this know what our lives consist of on the day to day, but Mondays have been crazy. I did it to myself for good reasons, but it is still busy! We take L to school by 8:30. Then we have about an hour to come home until we go to C's gymnastics class in Fort Smith. Then it is over and we come back home for an hour and go get L at school. We come home and rest (sort of) for a short time and then take L to gymnastics. As soon as she's finished, we head back to Greenwood for L to go to a basketball clinic that Ryan told her about and that she has really enjoyed. She finishes at 6:00 and then we have to do something about supper, take baths and get to bed!

However, I type all of that to say that is what has been! When this school year started and we talked about which extra activity the girls were going to do, Ryan and I both wanted Lindsey to keep doing gymnastics. She often said that she wanted to do dance again. We weren't real impressed with the dance class and such, but enjoyed as parents watching her do gymnastics. She really liked it and so we pretty much told her that she should do gymnastics. She sometimes wasn't sure, but in the end we felt like we let her decide. For the first couple of months she didn't say anything. As a mom I watched her and hurt for her a little bit. She was really trying so hard and wasn't being REAL successful. She could so some of the things, but other things, even some of the simple things (cartwheels in particular) she really struggled with...seriously, looked really awkward. But she didn't complain, seemed to enjoy it, got a new leotard, life was good. Then last week she said she didn't want to go. She was fussy, so I just chalked it up to being tired. Told her she didn't have a choice, we had paid and she was going. She went.

Then this week, the same thing. She told me she didn't want to go. She really wanted to do dance more than gymnastics. So I told her we'd talk to the lady there (they have dance at this place too) and see if she can switch. I talked to them, she could switch and not be behind. I talked to Ryan and we struggled. Do we let her "quit"...are we teaching her that she doesn't have to finish....or is she just 5 and it doesn't matter? We decided it didn't matter, she's 5 and if she wants to do dance instead, that is ok! So, our Monday madness is over!

Lindsey is starting dance next week on Tuesdays. She asked me immediately after her gymnastics class today if I talked to the lady and if she could do dance. The she told me she had to have a leotard...but I reminded her she had one from her cat costume. She told me that wouldn't work because it didn't have a skirt! Ha! I told her we had one and it would work. We'll see! Then she asked if she could take her dance bag, what her teacher's name is, and on and on and on....I think she's a tad excited.

Maybe when your 5 year old tells you that she wants to do dance...just let her!

1 comments:

Erin said...

I hadn't heard the end of the story! Hope she loves dance next week!!