1.20.2009

History....

In history, 28 years ago, my brother, Taylor was born! I wish I had some old pictures of him on my computer, but I don't. Plus, my scanner isn't working. This is from last weekend, the day we were celebrating his birthday. He's a great brother and wonderful uncle. I'm excited to see what life brings him! We want him to get married and have babies! :) Ha! He's not a faithful blog reader, so I can say that! :) I would say it to his face too, though! He would just shake his head I'm certain! Happy Birthday BUBS! I love you! Other history is taking place today. I haven't really had a lot of thoughts about it. I knew it was inaguration day, but hadn't put a whole lot of thought to it. I know it is historical. I know that God is in control. I'm so not "into" politics, so I guess that is why I knew what was going on, but wasn't caught up in it. Courtney woke up with fever, so I didn't really watch much this morning, just a tiny bit before taking her to the doc. I was there during most of the "service" and didn't turn it on when I got home.
However, when Lindsey got home from school my perspective changed. She was showing me what all she had done at school and out came a coloring sheet of our new president. Wow! Shocker. Not because I think that it is bad, but like I said I wasn't thinking much about it and therefore hadn't talked to her about it AT ALL. Maybe that is bad parenting, I don't know. It wasn't intentional, just how our life happened. However, after talking with her more about who that was, I realized that they had talked a lot about it at school. Nothing negative or positive, just who he is, his family, etc. So I started talking to her. FACTS. Nothing opinionated at all. I turned on the TV and there he was, of course. So I showed her. She said, "Is that the REAL Marak (yes, I typed that intentionally) Obama. That is what she said. Then I told her that was his wife and that they had 2 girls. I told her I thought they were like 8 and 10. She then corrects me and says that no, they are 7 and 9! Wow! She not only heard about it today, but remembers!! Then we talked about how he is the "boss" of the United States. She calls me the "boss" of MOPS, so that was the best way I knew to describe his job. She got a puzzle for Christmas from Ryan's mom of the United States, so we talked about that in relation to him. She then goes on to tell me that he is our "first one with black hair." Ha! I had to do all I could not to laugh. Obviously she meant our first black president. :) I didn't know how to correct her or what to say that wasn't going to lead to another BIG conversation, so I told her yes, he has black hair! She also informed me that the other one (president) is going to Texas! I realized quickly that I have neglected to teach her what has gone on today.

However, it reminds me of a few things. Not only did I want to remember the precious things she said and the innocence in her voice about it all. But I realized that 1) She is VERY aware of what others are telling her. She is listening and taking it all in! 2)Because of that I need to be telling her things too. I need to be the one teaching her. Her teacher at MDO did nothing wrong and I'm not upset in the least. However, it was a big reminder to me that she is at school, around others and their opinions and that I need to be teaching her things at home before she has to learn them "in the real world."

2 comments:

Erin said...

Love it! Evan told us today was the big day for "Baraka" this morning!

Mischelle Coston said...

I thought the same thing when Abi came home, sharing her lessons of the day. I want to be the one who gives her a strong foundation, upon which to build -- a strong set of criteria with which to judge the validity of what others tell her -- a Biblical worldview.
I was really surprised how much she knew about Obama. She said he was the first black president, and I asked her if she knew what that meant, and she flippantly said, "Nope." So, we had that conversation -- she said that he didn't look very black. So, we even had to get into the fact that one parent had white skin and one parent had black skin .... she said, "So, is he really black then?" Oh, boy!