We had a first in the Scogin house...a broken arm! I was sitting in the living room. Whitney and Elliott had been eating lunch and had gone upstairs to play. They were coming down the stairs and I heard a loud crash and went fairly quickly to see what had happened. Whitney was half on the stairs and half on the tile, face down.completely. My first thought in my head was she was not going to have any front teeth left. As I picked her up and looked at her face there was NO blood. Her nose and teeth were all fine. She was crying so hard that she couldn't catch her breath. I sat down with her on the couch, got her blanket and laid her on my chest. The only thing she would say that was hurting was her arm. She was exhausted due to a late night before and getting up fairly early. It was 15 min until naptime. I messed with her arm and she didn't seem to flinch or mind anything I did to it. I wasn't sure even what I was looking for but I guess I thought I would know when she said it hurt? Not sure. She fell asleep on my chest for a few min. then cried out a couple of times as if something was wrong. So I went to lay her down. She would not put any pressure on her arm or bend it. It was just limp. She cried and cried when I laid her in her room, so I brought her back to the couch. Laid her down and she left her arm in one position. Not crying but not moving it. I got Elliott down for a nap and called my friend Angela whose son had broken his arm just a couple of months ago. She told me to look for "curvature" and that was the best thing she could describe it as. That's what I did. But have you looked at your kids arms lately? I'm not 100% sure what it looked like before she fell, so it was hard. Thus...I took these pics to compare each arm.
Definately one is more curved looking than the other. So my mind immediatly thought I should take her to get an xray so at least I would know for certain. After much texting and talking with friends I felt like would know more about bones and arms than me, Katherine came and was going to get Elliott so I could take Whit. She fell asleep about 5 min before Katherine got here. Katherine poked and pulled and twisted and turned Whitney's arm. She kept saying it looked swollen but felt like if it were broken she would wake up from the pain hurting. Whitney wasn't even flinching at all. Katherine and I decided the best thing to do was to let her sleep and see how she was when she woke up. That afternoon/evening was going to be a busy one, so she needed to have a nap. When she woke up she immediately started grabbing her arm and crying. So, I took her to the walk in clinic where they could xray it and not have to sit in the emergency room. Thankfully a friend picked up the big girls for me and they could hang out until I finished at the doctor.
She was scared. TOTALLY quiet and every now and then she would have a tear roll down her face. Pitiful and broke my heart.
They didn't touch it or do anything to it, just said lets get an xray and see what we see...so that's what we did. I held her and she was NOT a fan. I thought I was going to have to pin her down. Finally she agreed and put it up there. We went back to the room and waited about 1 min before the nurse came and got me and said I needed to come see the xrays on the computer. I knew immediately by the way she said it that it was broken. She confirmed it when I asked.
It was a whirlwind as soon as I saw and they told me to take her in this other room. I put her on the table and immediately there was a nurse, doctor and assisatant doing their thing and getting her a temporary cast. It was crazy. I was quickly "pushed" (not literally) to the back and just took pics while they worked on her. She just sat there like a precious baby girl. I'm sure wondering what in the world was going on. I told them she liked band aids so we kept calling it "a big band aid."
She picked green. So that's what she got.
She had to sit here and let part of it harden. The look on her face says it all. "what in the world is going on" bless her!
They brought out this little sling. It was so stinkin' cute!
As soon as we got out of the office she wanted the sling off and hasn't put it on since.
She came home and took some Tylenol and laid on the couch for a little bit, but before long she was ready to be her normal, happy, go get 'em self. She has adjusted amazingly!
I had plans to go out with some girlfriends for dinner so I asked her what kind of pizza she wanted. She requested cheese pizza and bread sticks. So that's what we ordered. This was right before I left. She was happy as a clam!
She slept perfectly all night. I decided I would go ahead and take her to school because as far as I could tell she was acting totally normal. But I did pick her up before lunch because I wasn't sure how easy it would be for her to eat. She walked right into school and started doing what she was supposed to. Better than she ever has actually. It was awesome!
Here's what she was doing when I picked her up...walking on the balance beam with her teacher.
I have been so happy and surprised that she seems to not be fazed by the cast. She has this new burst of independence that I don't know if its my surprise or her not wanting to be babied. But, she's doing well and we go to the orthopedist on Monday for a real cast. She says she's getting pink!
2 comments:
Tough little girl!! This seriously breaks my heart!!! :(
I am a bit behind. Bless her heart! I hope she is all better now!
Post a Comment