1.20.2011

Praying Hands

The other night when we were at the table, after Courtney prayed, Whitney did this and started babbling. It was one of the most precious things I've about ever seen.

It made my heart happy.

There have been some things lately that I've been dealing with as a mom that make me sometimes think I'm not doing enough. We all go through that (I hope) as moms and I know that I can only do so much, but I want to be sure the "only so much" is the right "so much." There are so many days I feel pulled in 50 million directions.

How do you be a good mom by playing games, coloring, doing hair, reading books, playing outside, talking, playing restaurant, baking cookies, doing crafts and all the other things that a "good mom" does...while at the same time being a good wife and homemaker by doing laundry, dishes, cleaning, cooking, grocery shopping, doctor appointments, car pooling, more laundry, more dishes, mopping, sweeping, spending time with your husband?

I know I don't have to "do it all" but at the same time, there aren't a lot of things on that long list that don't have to be done at some point: we have to have clean clothes, we have to eat, we can't live in a pig sty (which I'm not talking about me not shampooing carpets and furniture--I'm talking about I can't tell you the last time I vacuumed--scary, just being honest!). So as I look around at all that has to be done, when my girls are playing good together and I'm doing something from the list of "good wife" I'm not being a good mom, viseversa when I'm coloring, playing games, doing puzzles and playing beauty shop I"m not being a "good wife." Don't get me wrong...this pressure all comes from me, not my husband. I know the dishes will still be there, the laundry will still be there, the floors will always need to be mopped, but I just want to do my job as best as I possibly can and it's hard!

All of that longgggggg thought in my head to say that when Whitney bowed her head, put her "praying hands" on her face (we'll work on that) and started babbling, I took a deep breath and for that moment thought...that's enough. That's what it's about. If I'm teaching my girls to love Jesus and to live for him...that's all that matters! I want them to feel His love through me!

6 comments:

Alisa Berteau said...

This sooo summs up my life. I try desperatley to find that balance. sometimes it is onesided, pick either side, but others it is greatly balanced. there is guilt either way but those little moments of "I must be doing soemthing right" makes it all worth it. Great post and you are not alone in the least!

mom of 3 e's said...

I'm right there with you ;) Sis started the "praying hands" too. She says, "want bubba say amen". You're right...its the most precious and important thing.

The Junods said...

I hear ya! You're doing it just right! I think loving our babies as hard as we can and unconditionally is the best example of God's love. Its so hard! You're doing it...you really are! That picture is precious.

Sherry Drennan said...

I feel ya....every bit of it and those moments are truly priceless! I think we all battle every one of those thoughts every day!

Katie said...

Amen I feel you. Yes, yes, and yes. Your a great mom. Just do the best you can do that is all of us can do.

GlitteryKitchenTable said...

I totally know what you mean! You are definitely not alone. I know with me, when I'm feeling this way (which is daily) I am even more aware of the fact that I can't do this parenting thing without the Lord. I think we just have to pray daily that God will fill in the gaps! :) Love that Whitney was praying....you are a great mama!! :)