So here I am, 3 weeks from having a newborn. Here we sit, hearing about H1N1/Swine Flu, Flu shots, FluMist, it's too early, you can get another one, blah blah blah....talk about information overload. I literally sat down this morning to have my quiet time, opened my Bible Study book and couldn't even do it. I had to sit there and just cry out to Jesus to take it all away--take away all the worry and control I have been trying to have over this situation. I have been debating my head over and over how to handle having a baby in Oct with this crazy flu situation. Ohhh the joys of motherhood!
I had talked to the pediatricians office last week about my options, talked to my OBGYN, talked to the pediatrician again, talked to Ryan, not to mention friends, mom, etc. After the giving up the drama and thinking about the big picture and what would be best I decided to go with the FluMist for my girls. It is a "live"virus which doesn't mean a whole lot other than they can have some sort of symptoms and side effects a week after the vaccine. That was some of my fear, but decided that a couple of days where the girls MIGHT (it isn't everyone that takes it) feel bad for a couple of days. The FluMist protects them for a year!!!
Then there is the whole getting Lindsey to take the FluMist up her nose. Which is worse, shot or spraying something up her nose?! I wasn't sure. However, it turns out the FluMist is what we will do EVERY.SINGLE.TIME! She just sat there and did perfectly! I was amazed. Courtney did the same, but she hasn't been such a freak about the shots before like Lindsey has.
Then we stopped at the pharmacy and I got a shot. Lindsey was so interested in watching me get a shot it was almost funny. Courtney missed it and was mad she didn't see me get a shot. Ha! Luckily I was very brave and showed Lindsey how to do it...simply stand there! :)
I'm going to pray that they don't get the side effects, which apparently don't last long and just are "flu like symptoms" in the just don't feel good, runny nose, and maybe fever. But, you treat the symptoms and it doesn't last long. So, it wouldn't be bad, but I'm going to pray it doesn't happen! If you will, I'd appreciate it if you would pray for me and the girls. That they wouldn't get sick and that I wouldn't worry about it!
At least we are all protected, at least the girls and I, for when this baby comes. I told Ryan he needed to get a flu shot this year and he agreed. I just don't think it will be before the baby comes.
9.17.2009
Overprotective Mom Mode
Posted by Sharon at 8:25 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh I'm sorry. I become obsessed about some things like this too. You have a lot going on so it can make it all seem more scary. I know having a little baby makes you more nervous about Germs. I was so worried when my boys were born since they are Sep babies and then is when all the sickeness starts. I was so worried about RSV. TO make you feel better my neighbor is a Peditrician and she told me that the regular flu kills people every year. Not to worry, wash hands and if they have a fever longer then 3 days then you need to come in so they can do some tests. She did not seem overly concerned. She works for a big practice here and was not acting like the media. Take it easy..
Best wishes I will be praying and thinking of you and your family. Can't wait to see the pics of the new addidtion.
We all just did the same thing. Even Jeb sniffed up his flu mist like a pro. Definitely the way to go!
Post a Comment