11.25.2008

OMG!!!!

Seriously. The title. That is just about all I know to say. My little angel Lindsey is back her mode of ballistic fits at bedtime. I can not even BEGIN to describe them to you. It is literally her screaming at the top of her lungs just screaming, her screaming no at us, telling us no, getting out of bed as fast as we can walk to the door, coming out of the door. Last night it was 3 spankings from Ryan and tonight it was 2. He is still in there. We decided we were going to just not put up with it and ignore it, but it is hard to ignore a child coming out of their room screaming at the top of their lungs. I hear it starting again.

The above was written last night. It did start again and it lasted so long. It was so draining that it even got to Ryan. He was very bothered by it. I was too, but more mad than bothered! I can't even put into words what we went through last night. It was awful. At one point when I told her we were going to pray and be finished with all of this she screamed no. I started to pray anyway and she pushed my face with both hands and screamed no incessently! Wow!

A friend of mine's mom is a child development/early childhood teacher at UAFS here. She is very knowledgeable in handling children and their stages of devolopment. So I have e-mailed her about talking to Lindsey and to me about how to handle this. I hope we can talk to her today!

She e-mailed me some articles about OCD. There are a lot of things that it described that sounded JUST LIKE LINDSEY. It has been something we've joked about for a little while now because she has these "rituals" that she has to do. But after reading that it really made me aware of maybe how she feels. It was interesting to say the least. I want her to feel safe and secure, obviously. If these rituals are what she has to do to feel that way then I can do them. The problem comes when she does what we call a "silent fit" and chooses not to do what she wants to do. Anotherwords, she becomes in control of the situation by NOT doing what she wants and what I'm waiting on her to say. I don't konw if that makes any sense at all, but it is what happens and what has triggered the fits for the past 2 nights!

Please when you are heading toward bed tonight with your children pray for Lindsey and for Ryan and I to have wisdom. We have different views on how this should be handled.

2 comments:

Alisa Berteau said...

WOW!!! Oh the joys of parenthood. Just when you think you have things figured out, WHAM, you don't. I read recently in Parents mag that most children go through phases of being and angel and then being well, you know. It seems to happen around their 1/2 birthdays for some reason. They just have trouble controlling themselves and their emotions. I have definitely noticed it with my older 2, and it does seem to happen right around that time. Interesting, doesn't really help you now though. all I can say is keep praying and I hope that lady has some answers. Love you!

the alder boys said...

I'm so sorry. I am sure it is so hard. Hang in there and I am SURE you will handle it the perfect way...you always do! You are a great mom!